Arndt, Sutak & Miceli, LLC

Parenting Time

Lawyers Based in Central New Jersey

In New Jersey, courts generally hold the belief that both parents should be involved in a child’s life for his or her own well-being. Quite often, even if one parent has sole custody of a child, the other parent is granted parenting time in the form of visitation rights.

If you are seeking parenting time, the New Jersey child custody attorneys at Arndt, Sutak & Miceli can help. We have decades of combined experience providing legal services for families throughout New Jersey.

Determining Parenting Time

So long as a non-custodial parent is not believed to pose any type of threat to the well-being of their child, he or she will likely be granted visitation rights. The two parents can work together to develop a visitation schedule that they agree on. If the parents cannot come to an agreement, the decision will be left up to the court.

Types of Visitation

If you do not have legal or physical custody of your child but want to maintain a relationship with him or her, you can take advantage of visitation time.

In New Jersey, the court may grant:

  • Reasonable visitation: A more flexible plan wherein parenting time occurs whenever it is convenient and reasonable for both parents;
  • Fixed visitation: A plan that dictates exactly which days a parent will have visitation privileges; or
  • Supervised visitation: A plan generally granted when there is violence, drug use, or alcohol abuse present and a parent must visit with their child while supervised by a professional or a relative.

Failing to Follow a Visitation Schedule

If a parent fails to appropriately follow the court-ordered visitation schedule – such as when a custodial parent forbids the other parent from visiting – he or she may face sanctions. This could be a change to the visitation schedule or simply a monetary fine. In extreme cases, the court could even transfer custody to the non-custodial parent.

Need Help With Parenting Time?

No worries! Get connected with us for a consultation today.

Skip to content